The monastery belongs to the Ivančna Gorica municipality (or to the Central Slovenian region) which is situated 32 km from Ljubljana and have around 15000 inhabitants. It was founded in 1136 and was the country's cultural centre. In it the Stična manuscripts – one of the first documents written in the Slovenian language – were being created. Today it is the only still working Cistercian monastery in Slovenia and was proclaimed for the monument of state significance. In the monastery there is also a museum – the Museum of Christianity in Slovenia.